Wednesday 7 March 2012

15. Hannah - Is heaven silent?

Hannah: Lord, I've been married a while now. It would be wonderful if I could get pregnant soon.

God: I know.

Hannah: Lord, still nothing happening. Please may it be that I soon get pregnant.

God: I have plans.

Hannah: Lord. it's not fair; my rival is pregnant and I'm sure Elkanah will love her more than me now.

God: Peace!

Hannah: LORD!! She's having another baby...what about me? COME ON!!

God: Patience.

Hannah: I can't bear it Lord. Every time we go to offer the annual sacrifice, I am humiliated by my emptiness, and that other woman mocks me. I want to weep. I dream about babies. Why don't you answer my prayer? What's the point in believing if you never do anything??

God: I am.

Hannah: I don't care if the priest hears me. What if he thinks I'm drunk? I'm drunk with grief. I am desolate. I am barren. Elkanah thinks I'm obsessed. Surely the love of a good husband should be enough, but I want to be a mother. Otherwise my life is not worth living. God, why don't you listen? Why don't you answer? Why don't you give me a child? If you give me a child, I promise he will be dedicated to you for the whole of his life.

God: I hear.

Hannah: Samuel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My heart rejoices in the Lord; in the Lord my horn is lifted high. My mouth boasts over my enemies, for I delight in your deliverance. Do not keep talking so proudly or let your mouth speak such arrogance, for the Lord is a God who knows, and by him deeds are weighed...he raises the poor from the dust and lifts the needy from the ash heap...

(1 Samuel 1 and 2.)

2 comments:

  1. I don't like to get all pendantic or anything, but aren't we only on day 13 of Lent?? How come Hannah's 15 then? Can't believe, as a priest, you forgot you don't count the Sundays. But then maybe you've been a bit part time recently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. see what you mean. maths not my strong point, but if I want to finish by Maundy Thursday that gives a coup;le of days off to take between now and April 4!

    ReplyDelete